Friday, March 15, 2013

The Hard Part is Over?



So we took several of our kids to the Denver Art Museum a few months ago.  (I was a little sad that they no longer give you a little pin to wear that reads 'DAM').  Anyway, ten of us were standing in a mob at the front desk, talking to the 20 something receptionist who was running through her standard admission to the museum questions, and she asked if any of the children were under 6.  Because my brain is a little mushy after all these years of being the mommy, I had to think about that question for a second before I responded that, no, the youngest was 6.  She smiled at me then and said all cheerily; "So the hard part is over!"

Really? Really? The hard part is over?!  I hadn't noticed things getting markedly 'easier' as my children reached the magic age of six.  In fact, I feel a certain nostalgia for the days when everybody was under six.

For one thing, they used to go to bed before me and I would stay up for a while enjoying the quiet. I could sew or read or watch a movie or just relax and eat ice cream or drink cocoa with no one the wiser.  Now kissing my children goodnight typically means that I am going to bed and they are the ones staying up watching movies and eating ice cream.

I miss the days when my children's emotions could be soothed with a good hug and a pat on the head.  I am not saying that a two year old doesn't have emotions, but I don't know a lot of them who can put a good sized hole in a wall when they are feeling frustrated.

Also, I feel like I used to be so smart....my kids thought I knew everything and could do anything.  As they get older, they have started to get a little more suspicious of my omniscience.  Sometimes I think they suspect that I really know very little and am just making this all up as I go along.  I think it starts when they first come to me with a math problem and I have to say "isn't there a CD with this math program?"

I used to be able to pick them up.  This was highly useful. It worked when they were sad and needed to be comforted.  It worked when they were hurt and needed help.  It worked really well when they were stubborn and just wouldn't get in the car already so we could go!  Except, eventually I can't do it anymore.

And I don't know if you realize this, but they let big kids drive  On the road.  With other cars.  But, before the kids get to go drive around all alone, with their parents sitting at home worrying about them, they make the parent sit in the passenger seat for months at a time with the teenage driver.  And it is just about the scariest thing you have ever had to do with your kid in so many ways.  I liked it when they rode tricycles.  On the sidewalk.

And here is the hardest part....if you have done your job right with these little ones who follow you all over and think you are so smart and awesome and fun to be with even when you are just folding socks, then what happens is they grow up, become capable, independent, intelligent grown ups... and they leave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment